Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sugar Cookies



This will be short and sweet, I haven't done this in a while so I thought I'd post a short little blog about the new cookies I attempted this year. Sugar Cookies, I was watching Martha Stewart and they were making Santa sugar cookies and decorating them with royal icing, doing the hat and boots and then waiting 10 minutes for that color to dry and then doing the white and waiting another 10 minutes so I thought I would love to do that. I went out in search of things I saw and came up short, no Santa cookie cutters (I could only find big Santa faces, not the whole body) and no luck finding those little silver balls for sticking on the icing either. If anyone knows where I can find these things please help: ) I did find other basic shapes, candy canes, snowmen and snowflakes and I had a ton of fun decorating them though. I'm not to excited about baking them and really try to get that out of the way really quick so I can get to decorating. I was so excited to get going on the decorating I couldn't wait till I had peace to do it (all the kids sound asleep in their beds!) so I sadly rushed into it and had my pants tugged on and was interruped numerous times. I'm happy with how they turned out but think next year they'll be better... I won't rush into them and I'll do them when I have the kitchen to myself!
So here are my snowflakes..
and here are my little snowmen..
and next year when I have that much more practice I'll post the other shapes:)

4 comments:

Elnora Hildebrand said...

Oh, they are so nice! I want to do some for Valentines day! Is that royal icing readily available or easy to make? I got all excited when I saw your cookies. I love baking and decorating. By the way, you can get those silver balls at the bulk barn. There's a few locations in the city.

andrea said...

how beautiful! they are so pretty and so delicious! you are so talented! love how they turned out! you have such a gift!

Jodi Penner said...

Thanks Elnora, I'll definately be making a trip there, I was too wanting to make some for Valentnes Day. Micheals has Meringue Powder for royal icing and it's really easy to make, I used the Wilton recipe (with no egg white) and it turned out great and tasted good too. some reviews said to make one with egg whites to taste better, i thought this was good though. I also recomend getting those clear bottles to put the icing in it worked really great for me! have fun!!

christal said...

you have quite the knack for decorating! beautiful work, again. :)